I’m working full time as a contractor and at night and in the weekends I’m working on my own projects for Plicatibu.
My work as a contractor is really nice: I develop in C/C++, Java (for both Android and J2ME mobile phones), C#, work with Oracle, PostgreSQL and MS SQL Server databases.
In the enterprise I’m working as a contractor, we develop software for secure authentication, secure file transfer and other stuff related to security. We develop both the server side and the clients. I have even ported an C/C++ application to Mainframe.
Its team is very good and I learn a lot with them. I like that environment so much that I’m working with them since May 2006. It’s a long time.
The only problem is that São Paulo has one of the worst traffic jam in the world. I’m expending around 4 hour per day to commute to home. It’s too bad because I don’t have time to my family, to my own projects nor to rest and enjoy my free time (free time? It’s expended on traffic jam).
A good solution would be to work at home. Telecommuting (or home-office, as we say in Brazil) would be great. Unfortunately the managers don’t like the idea of telecommuting.
These days I came across an opportunity to get a telecommute wok. The first think I did was a research about the enterprise that’s offering the job.
It’s in the market since 2003, has many good clients. It’s good because it demonstrates that its solid.
I’ve read about its mission, vision and values. I identified myself with them. That’s great because I can’t work at an enterprise that is not aligned with my views of the world.
Next step was to discover what technologies they use. That was easy because they state clearly what technologies they’re working.
It was amazing to see that they work with the state-of-art. There are a lot of things I can learn with them.
The first step to apply to the job was to develop an application that would post my location on twitter. I did it (you can find it here). What I liked more about this is that I got 2 ideas that I’m going to develop.
The second step was to post an article about my education, my hobbies, books, motivation, and so on, that made me apply to this position.
What you’re reading right now is the second step. As you can see the first thing I wrote about was the motivation. Now I’m going to write about the other topics. But don’t worry: I’ll be very concise.
- Education: I’m Electronics Engineer and I’ve a MBA in Industrial Automation.
- Hobbies: I love to go to the beach, I love to swim, to read and to travel. And I need to mention that I’m an Electronics hobbyist.
- Books: I like classic books. Especially Brazilian writers (Machado de Assis, José de Alencar).
- Sports: I like to swim (I’ve already said it, right ?). I swim twice a week. 4 times a week I practice hydro gymnastics. I’d prefer to swim every day instead of having hydro gymnastics but it would be too expensive 🙁
- Preferences: What kind of preferences are they talking about? I have no idea, so let me say some of them:
- I prefer to stay with my family than with friends.
- I prefer to read a book instead of watching TV.
- I prefer hot places instead of the cold ones.
- I prefer to say the truth than lie. If you can’t stand with the truth don’t ask anything because I won’t lie just to make you happy 🙂
- I prefer to be a software developer than an engineer.
- I prefer Linux than any other O.S. 🙂
Now I’m going to the third step: I need to twit about this post.
I really hope they will like my profile. Anyway I will publish here the result.